Saturday, March 21, 2009

Health Update!

Right, so most of the tests are back now, except for the TB mantle, which will be read on Monday.

HIV (both tests) - Negative
Hep A - antibodies present, so he's had it before. That's good, that means he doesn't need the shot because he's already protected.

Stool Culture - ugh...you've got to be kidding. Not only does my poor boy have giardia, he has worms - two different kinds. In fact, they had to call Pediatric Infections Disease at the Mayo Clinic to find out how to treat one of them. Good news is, the treatment is only three days long. Bad news, he's not covered by our insurance yet and it was really expensive. Ah well, doesn't really matter, the price. Gotta get my kiddo well! He took the deworming pill really well, mixed into mashed potatoes which he didn't have to chew. The instructions say we can't crush the pill, because the bitterness could cause vomitting...whoo hoo!

This morning he took his giardia medication without a problem - it's a liquid - and that was good. He just has to take it with food for three days, twelve hours apart. No big deal, we'll get it done.

Marc was wondering this morning how the poor kid is going to react when he actually has a solid poop. He'll probably freak out.

We're adjusting pretty well, though he hasn't really attached to me yet. He'll go to anybody quite happily, so we're working on getting him to understand that I am mommy and he should go to me first. We'll get there, too.

Dagny is terribly jealous. She's acting out a bit, but it's tolerable. It'll pass when she realizes she's a good helper and will get more attention if she's good. Marc has instituted an allowance program for her (a quarter a day) if she helps and doesn't have too many meltdowns. We don't expect perfection, we just expect a bit of an attempt. :D Good luck with that for us!

We went out to town today and visited a craft fair, which was fun. We also stopped at the library so I could get some work for Monday. I go back part-time from home for a week or so, which I think will be okay. I'll go in every morning after taking Dagny to school or daycare, and I'll get the mail and turn in bills and things like that. It'll all get done and Sintayehu will come with me and help. *snort* We'll see how that goes.

It's very busy being a family of four. My parents left this morning, so we're alone (the four of us) and for the past eight hours or so, it's been going quite well. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

sadie said...

I hope all the friends visiting his tummy leave soon and that Dagny's jealousy wanes in the coming days. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stephanie, the comment about his first solid poop made me laugh so hard. Our bio son had milk protein allergy as a baby. This wasn't diagnosed until he quit nursing at 14 months. By that time several secondary allergies had developed, including soy. He was 18 months old when he had his first solid poop, and I told my husband I wanted to put it in a shadow box and hang it in the living room. So exciting!!! LOL!
Congrats on your sweet boy!
Emily Webb