Saturday, August 16, 2008

Civil War Reenactors

Have I mentioned my husband and I are insane? Every two years, Pipestone hosts Civil War Days where reenactors from all over the United States come to dress up and pretend it's somewhere between 1861 and 1865.

Two years ago, when we had just moved here, we got hired to read letters from soldiers to their wives at the festival. We enjoyed it, so we agreed to do it again this year. AND we got roped into doing a talk on hot air ballooning during the war. Don't get me started on that, since I'm the talker and I could go for hours. Suffice it to say that hydrogen balloons were used as spies for both the Union and the Confederate Armies, though the Union was much luckier with them. I've really enjoyed the research and the talk, so if you want to know more, you can always email me.

Two years from now, I pledge to have a dress that belongs to me (the one in the picture is borrowed) and I pledge to make Marc a nice vest that matches. I may even be able to make both kids matching outfits and we can attend as the entire family! I'm really looking forward to that.

And yes, there's a bunch of guys dressed as soldiers running around and shooting each other. The Union Commander even court-martialed and shot someone this morning...all in good fun.

Yeah, we're crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look like you belong in those clothes. Can I come next time and be a southern belle (damsel) in distress???? :D :p LOL

Jori said...

Crazy ~ at least you are together in the crazyiness!! What a fun time though ~ I am wondering how I will ever know if you make your own in 2 years?! Well, you must start before then and what a family picture that could be with all of you! :):)
We start bowling nexzt week - are doing it again?
love, jori