Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Harvest


There are things growing in my crazily overgrown garden! Dagny and I went out yesterday to explore and found six acorn squash, three summer squash, a nice handful of beans, a tomato, and three ears of corn. Okay, so the corn is feed corn and inedible, but it was fun to find anyway.
We ate the tomato and the beans for dinner with hamburgers and we're going to trade a bunch of the squash for beans and sweetcorn from a neighbor. Those can be frozen. Who knows, maybe he can teach me a trick to freeze squash this afternoon, too. I'm not sure how I would do that, other than cook it first. Which I suppose is the way to go. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a pressure cooker and canning jars or freeze everything in ziploc baggies, which is what a lot of people do around here. I just need to organize the freezer!
No news on the adoption front. There haven't been any referrals in the past week, so I'm trying not to think about it too hard. Of course, when I went shopping on Thursday for socks and underwear for Dagny, I found a romper with a lion on it at Gymboree and I bought it for Ephraim. It was on sale, I couldn't help myself. At least I didn't buy more than one!

2 comments:

Jori said...

I love fresh veggies and from your own garden is the best!! Yea for a Harvest! Dagny looks so cute :):)
Some ref. yesterday so you are moving on up the list! :):)
love ya, jori

Anonymous said...

Dear, you don't HAVE to have a pressure cooker to can.... just a big pot with lid.