Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nobody Gets In to See the Wizard!

HAHAHAHA! Jori, you rock. For those of you who haven't read the comments on the previous post, Jori has reminded me that No is a perfectly acceptable answer to things. "Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Nobody!" I'm just not good at saying no, but I'll work on it.

The Wizard of Oz is now over, which is good and bad, honestly. We had a great time and out of eight shows, we got seven standing ovations. People loved it. It felt good to be involved in a production that was so well-attended. I mean, I've been on stage before, but never in front of an almost sold-out house, which we had the last weekend every night. The witch is glad not to have to paint herself green anymore (the make-up gave her hives) and the kids are glad not to have to sit downstairs and be quiet during the production, but I think we all miss each other.

So now the summer gets into high gear (except it was 45 degrees this morning. 45 degrees!?) and I need to get my head back into real life. The garden is out of control with weeds, so I have been up at 5:30 every day for the past three days weeding before the small one gets up. I've got the delicate weeding done (the stuff that has to be done by hand) and on Friday, I'm taking the garden claw back there and going for it. The squash are all doing great, the watermelon are growing, and most of the tomatoes are doing well. The beans and peas are growing, too, just not as fast as the rest.

And there's a stalk of corn out there. CORN? I didn't plant any corn. Of course, we live across the street from a corn field, so it could have just come for a visit in some small animals droppings, but it's funny. It's right in the middle of the peppers and we decided not to pull it, but to see what happens. It's very healthy and rather tall at the moment.

The adoption feels very slow, but there were ten referrals in June, so keep your fingers crossed. Those families at the top of the list must be going insane. I keep checking to see if we're in the top ten yet, but so far, no luck. We'll get there when it's time, right?

We're planning on going to a friends house for a barbeque on the 4th of July and then going out to the fireworks. Dags has never seen fireworks, so it should be fun. The other couples also have three year olds, so it should be quite the party with three 3s, and two 1.5s. Should be tons of fun.

And other than that, we're not doing too much, which is wonderful. It feels good to be able to go home every night, have a nice dinner (not rushed) and watch some TV before we all go to bed with the windows open. It might be summer, but we've only had the air on for 12 hours so far...weird weather. Maybe I should go buy a Prius...

1 comment:

Jori said...

I am so not a good "no" person ~ it is my family that pays the pric sometimes. I had a wonderful female mentor tell me awhile back that she actually schedules "her" time in on the calendar. If someome calls or wants someting or whatever she can look at her book and if she is on that slot she says no and in no way feels obligated to explain. Not there yet for me ~ but who knows!!
Jori