Monday, July 7, 2008

Three Day Weekends

Sing praises for three day weekends! Whoo hoo!

Friday was our outside day, where we took care of the things outside the house. We finished weeding (finally) the garden in the morning and Marc cleaned out the eaves, which were a bit clogged, and we picked up all the pine needles and got the composting going.

We also went for a family bike ride and a barbeque at a friends house. It was so great. Three three-year olds together are very funny. The parents even got to chill for awhile while the kids played. Bratwursts, potato salad, and home-made rhubarb pie. Yum. We were thinking about going to the fireworks, but they were so late, we decided against them. Instead, we drove home and on the way, someone was shooting fireworks off at their house (we live in the boonies) so we saw some anyway! And then, when we got home and had PJs on and everything, Marc said "Dagny, let's go outside" and we could see the pig farm on the other side of the highway shooting off fireworks, too! Not to mention the lightning bugs...it was a great night.

Saturday was the inside day. We had a furniture moving vacuum day! Dagny helped (well, kind of) and we moved all the couches and tables and vacuumed. Wow. Don't think I've done that in awhile. It was pretty nasty. Had to dump the vacuum like three times! But now the house smells better. What a sad comment. And I got 6 loads of laundry done, since I washed the quilts, the mattress pads, everything. And we STILL had enough time to go for a nice bikeride in the afternoon.

Dagny is getting pretty good at her bike now. I'll have to get her a helmet next time I'm in Sioux Falls.

Sunday, since we got most of our chores done Friday and Saturday, was a lazy day. I finished the laundry, did NOTHING while Dagny napped (what a treat) and then we decided to ride our bikes out to a friend's farm, since he bribed us with fresh lettuce. It was a longer trip than I thought it would be, but I made it and I'm quite proud of myself! Hauling an extra forty pounds of trailer and kid behind the bike, uphill, is not easy. But it was worth it. We got fresh lettuce and Dagny got to help dig up some potatoes (which were very yummy) AND she sat and ate peas off the vine. She must have eaten almost a pound of peas.

We had a great weekend. I love weekends that you get to spend with your family. Wonderful. I feel a bit refreshed now, like my head is more straight than it was before. maybe I can live through this summer yet!

1 comment:

Jori said...

I am so HAPPY that you are getting out and about with Dag's!! What a treat to have such a great weekend together and to get so much done at home! I love bike rides and fresh veggies are the best! Keep on ~ we are going to get in that top ten yet!! :)
love ya, Jori