Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Other Journeys

Yesterday I attended a lunch in Pipestone where the guest speaker was a family in town who has adopted five children internationally, two from Guatamala and three from Ethiopia. They have TEN kids all together. Are they insane? No, they have a lot of love. It was so obvious to see them together, it was amazing. They brought all ten kids to the lunch (though they left since some of them are very young) and then showed a slideshow and gave a talk that made me cry. The children from Ethiopia were so beautiful and I couldn't stop staring at the little girl, who was three years old. My son will look like her, I kept thinking to myself, holding hands with my friend Angie who went with me for support.

I'm a big cryer, so I knew I'd need someone there to explain why tears were constantly running down my face. The slides were amazing. Ethiopia is beautiful and now, not only can I not wait for my son, but I can't wait to take him BACK to see the country when he is old enough to remember. I can't wait to show Dagny where her brother came from, to explore a world through two pairs or eyes that are lower to the ground and much more connected than mine. Does that make sense? It makes sense to me...

The wait is horrible. And I've not been waiting very long. Maybe I will get used to it or it will get better the longer it goes, but right now it's aching inside.

And one of my best friends had to put her cat down last night. Good bye, Jazz, we'll miss you. Meet Maria in heaven, will you?

3 comments:

alisa said...

Stephanie- I'm 'feeling' the wait, too. I thank God our wait falls during the spring/summer months...that time of year usually passes quickly for me (hope for you, too). If all goes well...we'll be traveling together since we're both DTE 3/3!! I look forward to waiting (ugh) & traveling (yah) with you!!
Alisa :)

Jori said...

My dear sister in Christ! I love you this morning and am so glad you were finally able to share; don't need the details but always know I would love to pray with you & for you:
Dear Lord, I pray you touch your child Stephanie right now where she is and that she would feel your peace and strength in her right now. Keep her near to you Lord, as always, and continue to touch her entire household. Be with Mark where ever his feet may go today and allow him to follow on the path you set before him. Thank you Lord, for we know and believe you are GOOD! Amen
Rejoice in your blessings today Steph.
Blessings, Jori
WFR 02/19 either x2

Carpenters said...

Stephanie, For me, there were easier wait days and there were harder wait days. I think that any time apart from your son or daughter seems like forever, so however long the wait, it still is hard. I'm so glad that you got to meet other families with children that were adopted from Ethiopia. We have met a few and it has been such a blessing.

With Love,
Penelope