Sunday, September 7, 2008

Apple Butter

I made apple butter yesterday, from scratch. And when I say from scratch, I mean I even picked the apples off the tree in our front yard. I spent an hour and a half peeling, then had to make applesauce, then pureed the applesauce smooth, then put it in a crockpot with cinnamon, sugar, allspice, and cloves.

My house smells goooooooooood! It's thickening up pretty good (cooked overnight) and this afternoon I am going to attempt to can it. This is my first attempt, so who knows if it will work or not! I certainly hope so. I'd like to give it to people as gifts. And if it works, I'll have to do it again!

Whoo hoo! Hooray for trying something new! I feel so domestic at the moment. If the canning works, I've got a whole bunch of winter squash that I will cook up with brown sugar and can. And when my tomatoes all turn red (they're close), I can do salsas and tomato sauce, too! Nothing is better than the stuff from your own garden!

1 comment:

Susan said...

YUM!! We love apple butter! I can imagine the heavenly smell coming out of the crock pot!

Take care! Susan