Sunday, September 7, 2008

Canning Success!

Well it worked. I've got seventeen small jars of apple butter, all lined up on my counter and the seals took, so they're all good. I'm quite proud. If this wasn't so time consuming, I would do it as a fundraiser.

I've got a newfound respect for farmwives and women who would preserve food like this all the time. After all the time it took to process the food to the stage to can it, and then the actual canning (which is really hot with all that boiling water), I am amazed that I got anything done at all. Huzzah to women who do this all the time!

And to think, my tomatoes should be ripe in another few days and I can do it again! I hope I have enough for a respectable batch of pasta sauce, and maybe some left over for salsa. Even if it's just one or two jars, I would really like to look at them on my shelves and think "Hey, I made that from our garden."

Besides, it gives me something to do so I'm not thinking about referrals!

2 comments:

sadie said...

Good for you! Apple butter is a fall favorite at our house, pumpkin butter is yummy too!

Jori said...

You little domestic woman you!! :):) I love apple-butter but have never made it. I go to my friends house when she cans and we get to talk all day while we work - yea for friendships!!
Hoping for your turn!!!!
love ya, jori