Friday, March 28, 2008

Fundraising

September 19, 2007

Not Flesh of my Flesh
Nor Bone of my Bone
But still, miraculously
My own

Never forget
For a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart
But in it
-Fleur Conkling Heyliger

The above is a poem my mother gave to me (I'm adopted) and that is still hanging by my garage door so I can see it every time I leave the house. I have a canvas and I am going to paint the poem for my son, to hang in his room. I made a belly cast for my daughter, which is a plaster cast of my breasts and stomach at 8 months of pregnancy. She loves it.I can't cast my stomach for him, but I can give him something just as special.

We're using the poem on the back of a t-shirt that we are now producing as a fundraiser. Since the whole process is quite expensive, we figured we could use a little help. Another family that is adopting from Ethiopia gave us the idea and a hand in getting it all done. It's nice to have a support group.

We're putting a bible verse on the front: "I do not leave you orphans, I will come for you." John 14:18. Very fitting, if you ask me.

So, updates. We're in touch with our home study person and we should be meeting her for the first time on October 13th, to be followed by three more visits. At least one has to be at our house, and that one will be the end of October. The other three, to save a little money, we'll be meeting her halfway or in Minneapolis. We can make a fun family weekend out of it that way.

We've got the second round of paperwork at home now, and it's a bit daunting. I'm trying to get all the things together that we have so I can figure out what we need. It's going slow, but I think that's why they estimate more than a year. It takes a long time to get it all organized!

We've got to schedule physicals, too. Dagny just had hers and she's a completely healthy, normal, two year old. IU was expecting the doctor to say that, but it's always good to hear.We have a meeting with a neurologist for Granny on Friday morning, but the outlook is not great. No one seems to think she can recover from this.

So there's good things, and not so good things...

No comments: